Monday, November 15, 2010

The Dentist...and Comfort food...

Print Friendly and PDF
I had a dentist appointment at 10am today. Not a HUGE deal...but I am surprised how much going to the dentist makes me feel like a kid. I always try to postpone, or cancel my appointment, or make up excuses not to get my teeth cleaned like clockwork, every 6 months. My dad was a baker, and I was a chubby little kid who loved sweets. My dad's cousin was my dentist, when I was a kid, and I really liked him. He pulled out my 2 front teeth because they were rotten, when I was about 6...and when I was about 16, I went to a new dentist, and I SWEAR...he filled EVERY TOOTH in my mouth. I suppose I feel at my age...what more is there to do? Well, cleaning them regularly, comes to mind! So back to today...I walked up to the dentist. It wasn't raining...and in my mind, I think I was hoping that maybe I would be late. No such luck...I was RIGHT ON TIME!! I endured an hour of scaling, poking and prodding, and went out front to pay, and to make another appointment to have my top teeth cleaned. I suggested Friday...they said they were CLOSED on far so good. Then she said, "you know, one of our other hygienists has JUST HAD A if you would like to stay..." and like a deer caught in the headlights, I said YES!!

I will spare you the details of another hour with my mouth open, and a masked woman scraping more than a years worth of crud off of my top teeth. When I finally was at the front once again, to pay, once again...I was told not to eat or drink anything for 1/2 an hour. Great! I had had a nice bowl of oatmeal at 7:15 am, and it was now 12:05. I decided to pick up a few groceries on my walk back down the hill. What did I want for lunch?

I wanted Macaroni and Cheese, with sliced ham. If you substituted Kraft Dinner, for Macaroni and Cheese...that was my favorite lunch for most of my teen years. With my jaw and teeth aching, and my stomach growling, I walked home in a drenching rain...I arrived home and put a pot of water on to boil. I dumped 2 packages of Annie's Organic Shells and White Cheddar into the water and waited. I prepared my plate...a couple of slices of old fashioned ham, and a sliced cucumber. I waited for my shells to get to al dente. Finally, they were drained, butter and milk were added, as well as the standard cheese packets. I added some pepper, and slid the hot noodles onto the plate, poured myself a glass of ginger ale, and went to sit on the couch to eat my lunch and watch the food network.

I also made a pot of chicken soup, and just started making the taco filling for some soft flour tortillas, that we may or may not eat tonight...You see, the P-Man has to get a tooth filled at 6 pm. What do you want to bet he will want SPAGHETTI when he walks in the door?

No comments:

Post a Comment