Monday, November 14, 2011

Cold Apartment,Hot Oven,Good Cookies!

Print Friendly and PDF

I have been in a baking mood lately. It seems like all the interesting recipes on foodblogs.com are baked. I will not resist...the cookie gods are calling my name..."Cathy....Cathy....Cathy...for Gods sake try to bake something HEALTHY!"

Nothing says 'healthy' like PRUNES!

I found this recipe in the Fall edition of Edible Vancouver. Thanks to Debbra Mikaelsen for making a chocolate chunk/prune/oatmeal hybrid cookie that tastes delicious.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Prunes and Hazelnuts

1 cup(250ml) soft butter
3/4 cup(175ml) brown sugar
1/4 cup(60ml) granulated sugar or natural cane sugar- I used cane sugar in the RAW!
1 tsp(5 ml) vanilla
1 egg
1 1/2 cups(375 ml) all purpose flour-I was a bit short,so I used about 1/4 cup of whole grain flour to make up the 1 1/2 cups
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
1 tsp(5 ml) baking soda
1/3 cup(75 ml) boiling water
2 cups(500 ml) rolled oats
1/2 cup(125 ml) pitted prunes,chopped
1/2 cup(125mL) hazelnuts, chopped
1 cup(250mL) semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into small chunks- I used semi-sweet chocolate chips

preheat oven to 350F

Cream butter,and add sugars,vanilla,and egg. Mix flour with salt,and add to butter and sugar mixture, stirring well. Dissolve baking soda in the boiling water,and pour liquid into the batter. Stir in rolled oats and mix thoroughly. Then add prunes,nuts and chocolate, mixing to combine. Using a tablespoon, form balls of cookie dough and place on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Flatten slightly with a fork dipped in water. Bake about 10 to 12 minutes or until done.

I baked my cookies for 12 minutes and they came out lightly golden. I think the recipe made about 48 or 50 cookies. I froze most of them, and they taste great even right from the freezer...I took some across the hall to my neighbour, and sent some to work with my husband for his team...and they declared them SPECTACULAR!

I would agree...Perhaps I would even say "Prunealicious!"But that's just me...and it has been a long day!
 I hope you will try these! Leave me a comment...

4 comments:

  1. These cookies are a family favourite. So glad you enjoyed them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing chocolate chunk cookies recipe information. I love the baking cookies lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edible Vancouver,
    I really did, and my neighbour did, and my husband and his co-workers did! I think you may have started a prune cookie REVOLUTION!
    Best
    CathyB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tates,
    Glad you liked the recipe! I'm sure you're going to LOVE THEM!
    best
    CathyB

    ReplyDelete