Friday, February 11, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash and Bosc Pear

Print Friendly and PDF
I was getting into a bad grocery shopping/cooking habit. I was buying too many fresh vegetables at a time, and preparing and eating some of them when they were clearly past their prime. If good health is something you aspire to,as I do, there are multiple studies on what percentage of nutrients are lost,the longer produce sits in your refrigerator. I decided to break my former habit,and create a new one. I have been trying to eat my produce within 2 to 3 days of bringing it home. I have been buying less, and have been going to the produce market with an idea of what vegetables I plan to make for that day. This week I was reading a food blog by Angie Quaale,owner of Well Seasoned Gourmet Food Store in Langley, and came across her post on roasted vegetable with pears. I thought I would check the market for a butternut squash,and a couple of pears. An hour or so later, roasting happily in the oven was:

Butternut Squash and Pears:

1 small butternut squash, unpeeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces
1 large Bosc Pear,unpeeled,cored and thickly sliced
Salt, pepper, olive oil and fresh thyme...as much as you like

Place vegetables on a foil lined tray sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme, and add enough olive oil to lightly coat vegetables. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes or until vegetables are cooked to your liking.

I served these vegetables with pork chops and brown rice. I over cooked the pork chops, but the brown rice and roasted vegetables were PERFECT! Besides the fact that the apartment smelled like warm roasted fruit, the P-Man noticed the pear right away. He thought it was a delicious addition to the squash, and I completely agreed. I found the crispy sweet skin with it's slightly charred edges addictive, LIKE CANDY! I LOVE butternut squash, but have never like pears. It's quite amazing how a little heat can change your opinion on something as simple as a pear.

www.wellseasoned.ca/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment