Friday, February 11, 2011

Roasted beet salad with lemon

Print Friendly and PDF Maybe it's because I'm Ukrainian, but I LOVE beets. I love borscht(especially the way Judy makes it at Prairie Cottage Perogies), and pickled beets ( especially the way my friend BB does them), and roasted beets. This beet salad is a riff on one that we used to make when I worked at Delitalia. It was always one of our most popular salads. We even switched it up, by adding chunks of carrot.
I roasted a couple of beets the other day, and left them in the refrigerator, because I didn't have any lemons. When I did buy some lemons, I peeled the beets, and put this salad together...my way:

Roasted Beet Salad with Lemon:

2 med to large beets, roasted with the skins on.
Juice and zest of a whole small lemon
enough olive oil to make a dressing
salt and pepper
chopped flat leaf parsley

Peel and cut the beets into 1 inch cubes. Zest the lemon, and add to the beets. Juice the lemon into a bowl, and add salt and pepper. Add a bit more salt than you think you should, it really balances out the acidity of the lemon juice. Pour the olive oil into the dressing in a slow stream while whisking. The dressing should emulsify. Pour over beets and mix. Chop parsley and add to beets. Mix again and refrigerate. This salad is best served at room temperature.

I thought I used too much salt. I thought I used too much oil, and the dressing didn't really come together. None of that mattered. Roasting the beets in the oven gave them such a delicious, deep sweetness, that the Briny, lemony dressing worked perfectly. This salad is delicious...It's just another way to LOVE beets!

www.prairiecottageperogies.com
www.delitalia.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment