Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lemon Rice-Thanks Jamie Oliver!

Print Friendly and PDF
I have been craving something NEW lately! When that happens, I always go through my old cookbooks to see if something tickles my fancy! The P-Man is a big believer in BROWN RICE. I was raised on nice clumpy sticky white rice, with BUTTER and SOY SAUCE in large quantities, drizzled over the top! We just DON'T even talk about our huge culinary divide. The Jamie Oliver cookbook yielded some interesting recipes that caused me to step WAY out of my comfort zone and make a CURRY! It turned out all right...but the recipe for LEMON RICE that you were supposed to serve with the curry, was downright AMAZING!! As usual, I had to make a few substitutions, but if you want to wake up plain white rice...this is the dish for you! I even poured on a little soy sauce, for old times sake!

Lemon Rice: Jamie Oliver: Happy Days With the Naked Chef.
basmati rice ( I used a cup of raw rice)
5 tablespoon vegetable oil ( 1 tsp was fine!)
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
2 tsp urad dhal( I didn't have this!)
handful of curry leaves ( I didn't have these either)
rind and juice of 2 lemons
1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add the curry leaves, urad dhal, and strips of lemon peel. Cook until lightly brown. Add the rice, lemon juice and chopped coriander. Turn off the heat and serve, tasting for salt and pepper.
Yum...Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment