Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A 'Chic' Pea Salad

Print Friendly and PDF Summer has FINALLY come to the rainy West Coast! To some people, summer means BBQ,to me it means fresh,crisp vegetables,not turning on the oven,and lunch on the patio...any patio.

Garbanzo beans/Chickpeas

I am a huge fan of these delicious beans. I like them in hot dishes,and in cold salads. I have never boiled them from dry I prefer the convenience of a can. I have tried a few different varieties, and according to my particular palate,they are all identical. A veritable blank slate! I created this salad when a lovely bunch of ripe,juicy tomatoes on the vine arrived in my weekly fresh produce box, courtesy of SPUD.

Chickpea and Tomato Salad

1 19 oz can of chick peas, drained and rinsed.
1 large ripe tomato, cut into cubes
1 stalk of celery, finely sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon fresh parsley,finely chopped
dash of ground cumin/paprika

Mix all ingredients together and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Taste again, and re-season if necessary. You may need to add more salt, or vinegar, depending on the flavour/acidity of the tomato. You can also buy chick peas with no salt added, and may need more cumin or vinegar to balance out the flavours.
Once the salad tastes good to you, either serve immediately, or refrigerate. Be sure to bring salad to room temperature before serving, and always taste,and adjust...perhaps adding more fresh parsley.

The P-Man and I ate our salad with a couple of cold leftover chicken drumsticks,and a nice glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc. It was wonderful...and even better the next day for lunch on a bed of freshly picked mixed greens.

Let the 'dog days' begin

No comments:

Post a Comment