Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Scrumptious chicken thighs with carrots

Print Friendly and PDF I almost called this post:"Cathy's chicken thigh's with carrots",and then thought that maybe my dear readers would think I am half woman,half chicken.HA!

A couple of ingredients...Use generously.

I get my chicken thighs...there I go again with the INSULTS! I shop for chicken thighs at my regular grocery store. They have a small section of meat that is organic/no hormones/you get the picture. These thighs are more than twice the price but when you taste them, you will THANK ME. Besides the excellent taste and incredible moistness, I ended up with the most delightful YELLOW FAT in the pan. I believe it was a combination of olive oil,and chicken fat (schmaltz) and I just had to scrape it up and save it for something else. I came up with this recipe because I had a whole bunch of organic carrots in the fridge, and a half carton of chicken stock. I tend to throw too many ingredients into these simple braises,but not this time. In fact, after the P-Man and I had devoured the chicken for supper and then lunch...I took the leftover carrots/chicken broth mixture and stirred it into some whole wheat pasta with some freshly grated cheese, and it was creamy and rich and delightful...

The Recipe.

8 organic chicken thighs sprinkled with salt,pepper,and hot chili flakes (room temperature meat.)
1 bunch organic carrots(about 8)scrubbed but not peeled,cut about 1 inch thick on the diagonal.
3 cloves finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup fat free chicken broth
olive oil
sprinkle of dried marjoram

Use olive oil to grease a pan large enough to fit the chicken. Chop the carrots and garlic and add to the pan in an even layer,and sprinkle with dried marjoram.When the chicken thighs are room temperature, rub them all over with salt,pepper,and chili flakes,and place them on top of the carrots.Pour the chicken broth around the chicken and place pan into a pre-heated 350 degree oven,uncovered,for 1 hour.
These are even better the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment