Thursday, August 26, 2010

A delicious lunch

Print Friendly and PDF
Ha! Don't be fooled by my yummy 'frites' photo...the lunch I will be writing about today was made by ME!!! I feel as if I will go MAD with boredom. My last party was on Friday, and now it is Thursday...and I am STILL eating leftover party food! Yesterday at lunch, I said: NO MORE!!! I had a look through my crisper and found a beautiful dark green zucchini and some baby carrots. I and knew I would make a fresh and delicious pasta primavera, with a bit of leftover salmon...I know, but I just hate to throw food away!

I chopped 3 fat, white cloves of garlic. Next I cubed the zucchini, and sliced the carrots on an angle. I flaked the salmon that I had baked with a grainy Dijon, maple syrup, caper marinade. I heated up a small saute pan, and added some olive oil and let it get hot. Then I added the veggies and garlic, some salt and pepper, and a shake of chili flake. I let everything fry, while I boiled up some spaghetti. When the zucchini was tender/crisp, I turned off the heat and added the salmon, and a handful of fresh torn basil leaves. I drained the spaghetti reserving a little cooking water, and tipped it into the pan with the veggies. I grated a nice bit of fresh Parmesan over the top, poured myself a glass of wine,( Thanks to Penny and Dino!) and sat down to enjoy my feast!

I must confess that zucchini is not my favorite vegetable, but when lightly sauteed it becomes something that just soaks up other flavours especially olive oil and garlic. The torn basil was a fragrant and sweetly herbal ingredient. Every time I got a piece in my mouth, I wondered why I didn't cook with it more often.

My plate was really full, and I took my time, and enjoyed every bite. I drank my wine, and headed out onto the deck to digest, and read my book. The sun was shining, and the water was sparkling.

I stifled the urge to purr...

No comments:

Post a Comment