Thursday, June 10, 2010

A nice roast chicken

Print Friendly and PDF Three days until I leave for Italy. So much has been done...a bit more left to do. I have been off for 3 days, and have been trying to keep my cooking to a minimum. I decided to roast a chicken.

Is there anything more versatile than a simple roast chicken? It tastes great right out of the oven, or reheated in the microwave the next day for lunch, or shredded on top of a salad, the day after that. I roasted mine at 375 degrees. I gave it a quick rinse, with cool water, inside and out, and loosely stuffed the cavity with quartered lemon, red onions, fresh dill, and celery. I salt and peppered the whole thing, and sprinkled on quite a bit of summer savoury. I splashed on some olive oil, placed 6 new potatoes on the bottom of my roasting pan, and placed the tasty looking bird on top and shoved it in the oven for half an hour uncovered to brown. I cooked it covered for another hour, and checked it. It was juicy and tender. I basted it with some of the lovely lemony juices that had collected in the bottom of the roaster , and let it sit, with the lid 1/2 on, for another 30 minutes or so until the P-Man arrived home from work. We ate it with some peas, and some egg pappardelle bathed in butter.

Tonight I will cut up the potatoes and re-heat and reduce the lemony juices. I will pick the rest of the meat off the carcass, and toss everything together with the leftover peas, and call it: Cathy's Chicken Surprise!! I better get to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment