Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fall food...Summer Weather!

Print Friendly and PDF
Halloween is OVER!! It is November 3rd today...and I just got back from a lovely 3 hour lunch on the OUTDOOR PATIO at Slainte by the Pier!! What is happening? I thought that we BC'ers were due for the WORST WINTER in 55 years!!!??? It must be at least 19 degrees today, complete with crystal blue skies and a soft summer-feeling breeze. I had the delicious halibut bites and a Caesar salad, at Slainte. The halibut was the same...maybe even enhanced by the sunny day...but the Caesar salad told another story. Lettuce in November is nowhere near as tasty or as crunchy or as fresh tasting as lettuce in June. No amount of tasty dressing or soft, garlicky croutons can disguise that fact.

I have been cooking with fallish veggies for a month or so now. To me, that means Brussels sprouts, cabbage ( red and green ) and beautiful squashes, especially butternut. I just put a couple of potatoes to bake in the oven, accompanied by a tray of wildly orange butternut squash, anointed with fragrant olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and a dash of chili flakes. I baked some lamb chops on Monday night, and yesterday did a couple of pork chops with chili and mustard.

The P-Man is on his way to Europe tomorrow on a business trip, so I will be dining solo for 5 days. The weatherman is calling for 3 or 4 days of pouring rain...thank goodness for cooking, and the tastes of fall. Maybe I won't notice he has left me...
Yeah, right...

No comments:

Post a Comment