Thursday, August 29, 2013

Anchovies...You SEXY little fish!

Print Friendly and PDF
Here Fishy,Fishy
Little fish in tins: LOVE or HATE?

I admit it. I'm 50 and I don't believe I have ever purchased a tin of anchovies until a week ago. I found a recipe for a white bean and radish salad in Bon Appetit  and thought it looked so yummy I vowed to make it...anchovies be damned! I know anchovies mostly because of my 'pop-culture' addiction. How many sitcoms have I watched where a character orders a pizza, and has uttered the phrase: 'Hold the anchovies'?



Salad no...vinaigrette/pasta...YES!

I went to the trouble to make the vinaigrette, and ended up not making the salad. The rest of the tin went into the fridge. I purchased a huge bag of fresh green beans on my recent trip to Penticton, and used the vinaigrette to turn them into a tasty marinated green bean salad(a la James Barber) and the change was delightfully deep with flavour. A few days later, I had a fresh tomato, zucchini and some garlic, so I fried up the rest of the tin of anchovies with the veg, and created a wonderful spaghetti 'twist' to make the P-Man's night!

Here's the recipe for the vinaigrette courtesy of Bon Appetit-May 2013

Let me know what you think. Leave me a comment...especially if you have ever had anchovy pizza...

BA Vinaigrette

2 anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp drained capers
2 1/2 cups (packed) fresh flat-leaf parsley( I was 'sans'-parsley-I used a bunch of fresh oregano&thyme)
1/4 cup (or more) white wine vinegar (I had only red wine vinegar)
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper

Blend anchovies, oil, capers, and 1 cup parsley in a blender until a coarse puree forms. Transfer to a large bowl, mix in 1/4 cup vinegar, and season with S&P. Add more vinegar if desired. (I have had my vinaigrette in the fridge for a week, and have been using it on salads, hard cooked eggs etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment