Monday, February 15, 2010

Are you Hungry?

Print Friendly and PDF My mom and dad grew up during the Great Depression. I was born in the 1960's. I have no concept of what it was like to live without electricity, or have to preserve food for the coming winter. I grew up in an age of convenience. I ate TV dinners for lunch...and had a wide variety of food to choose from, 365 days of the year. I am constantly amazed at the variety of food I can choose to eat, on a daily basis. Right now, I have a mango ripening on my counter. I ate an avocado on Saturday night, and tomorrow for supper...I may have some sushi. I can drive or walk to probably 25 different restaurants, and have food in my cupboards, refrigerator and freezer that could last the P-Man and I at least a month. I think that most people in North America take access to clean food and water for granted. I have been watching the Olympics on TV, and wondering what all those people from other countries think about the food we eat. Not to mention, the huge quantities of food we have access to, every day. I feel very lucky to have been born in Canada, in a time of relative peace. I do not know what it is like to be hungry. Sometimes I feel I spend a disproportionate amount of time trying to decide what I would like to eat! I have already made a lunch date with a friend tomorrow...another good day...I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment