Monday, November 21, 2011

Strong Lemon+Fearless Zucchini= Tasty Feminist Muffins

Print Friendly and PDF

I receive something in my e-mail box each week:" Latest Headlines from Foodblogs.com." I am constantly amazed at the variety of food blogs that are floating around in the www. I came across this muffin recipe from a blog written in the UK. The title of the blog is: "Food & Feminism" and the 2 authors are Agatha and Agnes. Well say no more. I am charmed and intrigued.

These muffins were 'fatless' and light and fluffy. There were just a few ingredients. I thought they were a cross between a cake and a muffin. The lemon was punchy, and the zucchini was enough to make me feel good about eating a vegetable and a muffin at the same time! I did not ice mine. I merely mixed a tablespoon or so of icing sugar with a few drops of lemon juice and drizzled that over the warm muffins! Mmmm...lovely with a cup of English Breakfast tea.
Thanks ladies!

Lemon and Courgette Muffins

200g self raising flour
1 tspn baking powder
pinch of salt
3 eggs
175 g sugar
200g uncooked courgette finely grated (zucchini)
finely grated zest of an unwaxed lemon

Grate the zucchini and lemon zest, line the muffin tins and preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Sieve the flour,baking powder and salt into a large bowl ( I didn't have a sieve-I stirred the dry ingredients)
Whisk the sugar and eggs together using an electric mixer. You need to keep going until the mixture is thick, creamy, and pale yellow. About 6 minutes.
Carefully fold the egg mixture into the flour using a metal spoon, then carefully fold in the grated zucchini and lemon.
Spoon mixture into the muffin tins ( I got exactly 12 muffins) and bake for 20 minutes. Allow the cakes to cool for a few minutes before removing from muffin tins.

Enjoy a taste of spring! Even when it is dark and cold! These muffins will make you want to make a chain of daisies for your hair and dance around a field in a white dress...Wait, that's not a very feminist image is it?
Never mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment