Thursday, May 13, 2010

From the Ukraine to Ireland...in about 30 minutes!

Print Friendly and PDF I finished my work at Well Seasoned at around noon today. It was supposed to be approximately 19 degrees and sunny, so I worked fast! I picked up a few groceries on the way home, hauled them up the stairs, changed my shoes, and headed down to the beach. I LOVE this sign. When you serve the best...why be shy about it? It's not like the sign says: "We have the best Hockey team, with the best Goalie in the NHL?" Don't even get me started! My rear end is black and blue from jumping on and off that particular bandwagon!

I managed to elbow myself onto the patio, with a fresh copy of 'Cooking Light', and proceeded to enjoy a both leisurely and excellent lunch! My server looked familiar, even through my new prescription sunglasses. It was the owner, Jack! He let me know the specials, and they were very tempting. Everything from fresh oysters, Saltspring Island mussels in a thai curry broth, roasted red pepper soup, and a fabulous boxty, topped with carmelized onions, mushrooms and brie cheese. As I was reading a' Cooking Light' magazine, and am still attempting to lose 4 lbs I have gained over the last few months...I opted for the boxty and the sea side Caesar salad with grilled prawns. I actually only ordered the salad and a glass of wine...but that description stayed with me...so I asked for another glass of wine and had the boxty for DESSERT! HA! It was lovely. The potato cakes are so fluffy and light, just barely browned. The toppings are artfully chosen to bring out the potato essence, without overpowering the delicate cakes. The mushrooms and onions were wonderfully sweet, and the cheese with a bit of sour cream and green onion, added some zip.

Who needs cake! My stomach is still purring, happily! I am definitely going to have to try the halibut fish and chips next time... You should go to Slainte, before all the patio tables are gone!

Slainte By The Pier
15057 Marine Drive
778-294-0066
www.slaintebythepier.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment