Thursday, September 16, 2010

This week: FOOD=SANITY

Print Friendly and PDF
I am having a computer meltdown. To be more specific, my brain is about to explode from all of the new concepts and ideas I am learning about. Things that happen outside the world of my quiet little apartment in White Rock have not really been a huge concern to me. For the last 2 days, I have been getting a taste of what it is like in the worlds that encompass Face book, Twitter, etc,etc. Just when I thought it would be safe to go back to my familiar little blog, To chat about what I made to eat yesterday...I am assaulted by ANOTHER big change. Blogger wants me to set up a g-mail account to access my blog(s)...and when I tried to log in with my newly established g-mail account and password...THEY TOLD ME THAT I DIDN'T EXIST. After 4 unsuccessful attempts, and a throbbing, aching neck...I snuck in through the back door, googling cathyeats and signing in the old way! Yikes!! I feel like a criminal in my own BLOG!!

I must keep repeating my 2 day old mantra: I love social media, I love social media, I love social media...

I believe the only thing that has kept me from abandoning the laptop, and running screaming into the night had been some darn good food.

I started with a delicious meatloaf on Tuesday, made with the aid of a Cooking Light recipe...but I was missing so many ingredients...I really ended up winging it. I think the star ingredient was a nice big portobella mushroom, chopped small and fried up with some celery and onions, a dash of Cajun seasoning, and a good sprinkle of marjoram. I added everything to a pound of lean ground beef, an egg, some stale bread and some milk and gave it a good mix. I topped it off, after 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven with a mixture of mild salsa,ketchup, and a bit of tomato paste. Moist, and delicious it was. The P-Man let me know that he LOVES MEATLOAF...and the leftovers are even better.

I baked some brown soda bread this week. I very seldom EVER bake, but this recipe caught my fancy, and it was really easy. Besides the running out in the middle of assembling the bread to pick up some baking soda, the process went quite well. It came out a lovely toasty brown color, and contained both white and whole grain flour, wheat germ, buttermilk, and steel cut oats. We ate some, and froze the rest. It was hearty, and had a lovely crumb, with just a touch of sweetness. The P-Man ate his with herb cream cheese, and I opted for butter and jam. The recipe came from the March 2010 Cooking Light Magazine, and was called Brown Soda Bread.

I had to purchase some of the abundant salmon that seems to be everywhere this season. I chose a side of salmon, and covered it with a marinade of maple syrup,coarse grain mustard, and mild red chili paste. We ate the salmon on top of a lovely pile of mixed greens, with ripe avocado, and a tarragon vinaigrette. YUM!!
I have to go back to work tomorrow, so my last dish this week was a sort of pasta toss. It started with onions and fennel chopped small, with a nice fat garlic clove, fried in some olive oil. I then added a can of drained and rinsed chick peas, and a small can of stewed tomatoes. I added a good amount of dried basil, and a sprinkle of chili flakes. I had cooked some orzo earlier, so I dumped it into the pan with the veggies, and added a couple of tablespoons of herb cream cheese, and a good handful of grated Parmesan, as well as fresh pepper, and a sprinkle of salt. It was great! It was hearty and delicious. It could have been creamier, with the addition of some wine or stock...but it has turned cold and rainy...I think the P-Man is gonna LOVE it!

We have enough leftovers to get us through the weekend. I'll probably be eating at the computer...

No comments:

Post a Comment