Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dinner at CRU

Print Friendly and PDF A dear friend and I dined at CRU last night. www.cru.ca We had been there a year or so ago, during' Dine Out Vancouver,' and am glad to report that the food was as good as I remembered it. The restaurant is a tiny gem of a place. Very nicely put together with a warm feel. We had a series of small plates. I loved the Cru Bruschetta. A warm piece of foccacia with a creamy/chunky edamame spread topped with oven roasted cherry tomatoes and a sprinkle of Pecorino cheese. The Oloroso-sauteed mushrooms on brioche with aged white cheddar and a balsamic glaze was also good, but I found the cheese overpowered the delicate sweet and savory mushrooms. The Miso-marinated Sablefish had the most amazingly soft silky texture, as did the cauliflower puree. It was a delicious contrast to the sweetness of the fish. My friend was wanting some beef, so we tried the braised beef short rib with the tiniest serving of macaroni and cheese I had ever seen. Our server suggested we order another one, and I am glad he did, because I would not have even considered giving my friend of 20 years ONE SINGLE CREAMY CHEESE COVERED MACARONI! The frites were the only disappointment...not crispy enough. We ate, we chatted ,we drank wine. I was satisfied, but not stuffed. We skipped dessert, and walked home to have some tea. I will not wait another year, before returning to CRU.

No comments:

Post a Comment