Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Day in Rome

Print Friendly and PDF
Today was my first full day in Rome. The P-Man and I woke up to rain...not what we were expecting. We slept extremely well, so we were more than ready for breakfast. As in most hotels in Rome, some sort of breakfast is included in the price of the room. Our breakfast room is located on the top floor of the hotel on a lovely terrace. I was kind of concerned what kind of items would be offered, as I am a breakfast lover! I was pleasantly surprised with fresh scrambled eggs, whole wheat croissants, cold ham, and the most delicious coffee. They had many other items, so I don't think I will be bored by the selection over my five days in this extraordinary city.
We walked, and walked, and walked some more, today. As I mentioned it was a bit drizzly and overcast, so for me, it was the perfect opportunity to explore the wonders of Ancient Rome. We started at the Colosseum, and walked around the Roman Forum and Palantine Hill. I spent the day mostly with my mouth hanging open. It was one wonder, after the next. The buildings were so surreal, just quietly existing, behind a fence, with modern Rome whizzing by all around them. Pieces of columns, marble arches, recently excavated stone floors in Caesar's Palace...It was so interesting, and more than I could have imagined.
We ate lunch in Trastevere, at a little cafe called Ombre Rosse. I had an arugula salad with pear and Pecorino, simply dressed with olive oil and salt, followed by spinach and ricotta ravioli. Both were fresh and delicious. The P-Man had a fennel and olive and orange salad, and fusilli pasta with salami and zucchini. The oranges in his salad were soooo orange, they were almost neon-coloured! He was hot, and tired of walking, but this meal revived him, along with a few glasses of wine!
We will decide tomorrow's itinerary over breakfast. We just had another great meal, and took a short walk over to see the Colosseum at night, lit up. I have never been jealous of another culture before. After seeing the ruins of Ancient Rome...I kind of wish I was Italian. The checklist of accomplishments is quite staggering. Created modern civilization, check. Created a simple delicious cuisine that is admired all over the world, check. Michaelangelo, Da Vinci, Carravaggio, check.
Grazie, Roma...

1 comment:

  1. eee so happy to hear you're having a good time! the food sounds amazing! we miss you!

    ReplyDelete