Sunday, June 6, 2010

Freezing!!! Farmers Market.. June 2010

Print Friendly and PDF It's the first Sunday in June. From the temperature outside, you would never know it! After a lovely breakfast of homemade multi grain/blueberry pancakes and coffee, the P-Man and I decided to go to our local farmers market. Once we had our winter jackets on, we headed uptown to check out the bounty. It was better than I expected. It has been a bit of a rough spring for local farmers. We have had frigid temperatures, very little sun, and days and days of rain. Today I picked up a couple of really nice looking lettuces, a greenhouse grown, heirloom tomato, an unusual looking, yellow sweet pepper, and some new carrots and potatoes.

I am planning to roast a chicken this evening. I will stuff the cavity with some fresh dill and a couple of halved lemons, Herbes de Provence, and some garlic.

Today marks the one week countdown to my much anticipated trip to Italy. This time next week, I will be on a plane, eating and sleeping and stretching. We will make one stop in Frankfurt, with our final destination being Rome. We will spend 5 days exploring Rome, then take a train to Naples, and another train to Salerno, for 5 days at a resort near Vietri Sul Mare, and then a ferry to Positano for 2 nights. We will reluctantly ferry back to Naples for the train and sleep one final night in Rome before heading back home to Canada. I have wanted to visit Italy for a couple of years now. I have a strong, determined, but slightly un-focused mind. In my mind, I wanted to go to Italy. My mind misunderstood, and I ended up working at an Italian Delicatessen! I am planning to prepare today's chicken, with a variety of salads and sides that should leave us with an empty fridge for our 2 weeks away. This week will be a blur of final preparations, that does not include any complicated cooking.

But First...brunch with friends at Slainte! I have to go and look for my mittens....

No comments:

Post a Comment