Friday, December 10, 2010

a quick little cucumber salad

Print Friendly and PDF I had to make something GREEN to go with my Shepard's pie lunch. I have to admit the fridge is looking somewhat BARE. With the P-Man's arrival home this week, a decent grocery shop, and a fresh fruit and produce run, are top of my to-do list! What I DID have left in my refrigerator was about a 1/2 an English cucumber, and a bunch of cilantro. I also had a little bowl full of sliced green onions...in other words, I had the makings of a yummy little salad.

I sliced up the cucumber and added some chopped cilantro, green onion, salt, pepper, sugar, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, and the juice of about 1/2 a lime.(Usually I add white wine vinegar, but I found 1/2 a lime cowering at the back of the vegetable drawer!) I gave it a good mix, and let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes.

I ate my Shepard's pie, and then ate the salad. the acidy tang cut right through the richness and heaviness of the potato/meat dish. I was amazed how much bite those few flakes of red pepper gave the salad...but the sugar really balanced all the flavours out. Even though the day was grey, this little salad made me dream about Summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment